- Leventhal, Lionel (2006), On Publishing: A Professional Memoir, London, England: Greenhill Books, ISBN 978-1-85367-517-1
- Bowers, Fredson. Principles of Bibliographical Description, Winchester and New Castle, Delaware: St Paul's Bibliographies and Oak Knoll Press, 2005 (reprint edition, first published in 1949).
- Bookpoi.com official homepage — a comprehensive online guide to identifying first editions, rare and collectible books.
- Edition state terminology
- First Edition Points Online Reference Guide is a free searchable database of points of issue for hundreds of modern first edition books. Includes images of cover, copyright page, dust jacket flaps, etc.
- How to Identify a First Edition
- Pulitzer Prize First Edition Guide is a free searchable database of first edition Pulitzer Prize for Fiction books. Includes images and points of issue.
- Identifying First Editions, A Primer (from the International On-Line Booksellers Association) Includes discussion on general identification, book club, the reprint publishers, etc., and specific publishers.
- Glossary, International League of Antiquarian Booksellers — see "Edition", "First Edition", "Impression", "Printing" etc.